Sunday, November 7, 2010

Bikes, Drivetrains, & Impressions

I recently completed the custom build of a 2011 Specialized Enduro S-Works frame. I decided to build the bike with specific products of interest. My build is similar to the spec bike made by Specialized. It's sweet: 2011 Specialized S-Works Enduro

The people at Specialized are awesome. I was missing a needed part for the headset. In a pinch & on a Friday late in the afternoon, I was able to go visit them at their warehouse in SLC and pick up the needed part.

Major shout out to Don of Customer Service at Specialized....he is smart, helpful, and super nice. Ironically, when I shook hands with him I recognized him from a conversation we had one evening on the trail. I remember it specifically because he was riding the bike I would soon be building. We talked about it, and he raved how awesome it is....turns out that he speaks the truth!

I will always ride products made by Specialized and have for many years. Their products are the best, they have always been helpful, and they stand behind their products 100%.

My build ended up very similar to this, but with a few key differences.

Everyone in the biking world has heard about Sram and how awesome they are. I've ridden on their products for over a year now, and was so impressed that I'd build the new frame with an entire set up of XO which is new for 2011. My initial impression is excellent. Strong breaking power, clean & swift shifting, and strong but lightweight parts.

The guys at Binghams Cyclery in Sandy, UT have suggested a few times that I should try a Sram 2x10 drivetrain. I wouldn't say that I was skeptical, but I'm not always a big fan to move away from what I've grown comfortable with in the typical 3x9 drive trains we all have ridden on for years. It works, it's reliable, and proven, right?

Let me be honest. I thought to myself that if I didn't like 2x10, I'd sell it off and go back to what I was comfortable with given years of riding. No big deal!

Well, the boys at Binghams Bicycles in Sandy, UT really know what they are talking about. The 2x10 set up is AWESOME! Lighter, faster, and the ratios make much better sense.

For the first couple of rides on the new build, I intentionally rode trails I have ridden many times. The idea behind doing so was to work out the gearing ratios, compare lap times, and dial in the suspension, and work out any other fit related kinks common to a new bike.

Yesterday, on the maiden voyage ride, I rode the Corner Canyon trails in Draper, UT. As I was climbing up Clarks Trail, I felt like I was a lot slower than normal. Once I crested out, and hit the lap button on my computer, I found it was the fastest time of the season.

Maybe it was because I was excited to ride a new bike. Maybe it was because I didn't ride the day before. Maybe it was because the gear ratios were better for me and as a result I could push a larger gear without noticing it as much compared to the 3x9 set up. Obviously there is plenty of room for discussion surrounding these ideas, but I think it was because of the 2x10 drivetrain primarily.

Today's splits showed the same improvement, and on a different trail system here in SLC.

The Crankbrothers Iodine wheels are great and a bit of a risky purchase. Spendy, $950 MSRP, and totally different than most wheels on the market. The wheels are super stiff, are quick to roll, & are true after a few downhill sessions on the Bobsled trail.

Many opinions surround these wheels, but my initial impression is a positive one. I read many reviews where people would complain/cheer about the hub noise. There is no secret, it's a loud hub. In fact, it's louder than I thought it would be. I suppose I will not notice it after a while, and when I do it will serve as a reminder to pedal.

Perhaps my riding buddies will get a pair of their own, or learn to ride faster to get ahead of the noise; either way, I like the wheels.

The 2011 Fox Talas 36 RLC fork is sick! Nothing more to say because years of quality products speak loud enough.

Lastly, I'd like to give a huge shout out of appreciation to Mike at Utah Mountain Biking for taking time on Friday evening to help complete the build. For any purchases you need, buy through him & support the website and the brick & mortar shop in Lehi, UT.

Mike, thanks for helping me out with the parts order and the build! Much appreciated buddy!

No comments: