Sunday, October 24, 2010

Mixed Weather of Emotion!


The weather is changing here in SLC. This weekend has been rainy, cold, and windy. All 3 combinations don't add up to very good riding weather. I have to admit, I have mixed feelings to the change in the weather. Yes, on one hand, I'm excited for the change because it means skiing is right around the corner. No, on the other hand, I'm not excited about it because it has made for a long weekend of being inside and NOT on the bike. The next few days do not look very promising either.

Early this year I made it a goal to ride at least 4 days per week until the fall when the weather change makes it difficult to ride. I'm proud to say I kept my goal. Between road and mountain, I did it. Some days I'd get home from work and would not want to ride because I was tired, bored, or something else. However, I stayed motivated by the goal which I set early in the year. For every ride I left the house feeling not up to it, I returned with fantastic feelings of accomplishment and was ALWAYS happy that I got a ride in.

This is the data from the year thus far for both road and mountain combined.....so those of you that are roadies that read this can think I'm slow; and the mountain bikers will think I'm pretty fast; regardless of what you like to ride, it makes little difference to me. Fast, slow, crash, jump, downhill, XC, dirt jumps, lift served......it's all good to me! I just like the feeling of riding regardless of what discipline.

When I'm not able to ride, I find myself scrambling for things to do. Of course there is always something to do, but I find myself feeling a bit out of place if the weather beats me to the punch and keeps the wheels from rolling. The weather this particular weekend has been a challenge. I've caught up on some sleep, done needed things around the house, caught up on errands, and a few other things which is good. However, I caught site of my mountain bike this afternoon and felt really bummed out that I haven't been riding since this past Friday. Yes, some might think that is silly because it has only been a couple of days but if you are one of these, then you just do not understand.

Riding is my way of dealing with life's challenges. I hope that I will always be able to ride my bike....it keeps me young in several ways! Some friendships are surrounded by the sport, others have been failed by it, but regardless it's something that I love!

No comments: