Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Road Cycling

To be honest, in the past I've found road biking less entertaining than mountain biking so my road bike has collected it's fair share of dust while sitting idle in the garage.

However, I've recently been riding a fair amount on the road and enjoying it. I have to admit I've been inspired a little bit by a girl (no names for now) but let's just say she is pretty darn cool. She has ridden LOTOJA twice and taken 9th, and 10th in her category both years. Yes, it's intimidating for me to ride with her; I can admit that with a humility! LOL! This Friday night we are going to downtown SLC to watch Stage 3 of the 2008 Tour of Utah, the Criterium stage. I went a couple of years ago and it was very cool to watch the event.

The toughest stage is ahead of them scheduled for Saturday. The Queen Stage of the Tour of Utah is a brute; 14,778 feet of climbing in 99 miles. Riders will see five KOM’s on their way to the finish at beautiful Snowbird Ski Resort in Little Cottonwood Canyon. Along the way they will tackle the tough climb past Sundance ski resort, up and over the Alpine loop into American Fork Canyon.

Park City to Snowbird Course:
4 Climbs - Mountain Top
Finish Length: 98.1 miles, 159 kms
Climbing: 14,778 ft., 4,504 meters


I'm amazed at how committed the athletes are and by their achievements. What's even more amazing to me is how much the human body can endure. It is nothing short of inspirational to see them perform at their best.




1 comment:

Kaydee said...

Sounds pretty crazy to me but lots of fun too!! You are such a ripper tim man!!!